Frequently Asked Questions
How fit do I have to be?
- You don’t need to be really fit to join our tours but it does require some physical exertion, anybody who enjoys a little exercise can partake
How long are the tours?
- The morning tour is 4 hours
- The sunset tour is 2 hours
Do you offer snorkeling?
- No, where we visit does not offer the island’s best snorkeling opportunities
What wildlife will we see?
- On most tours we get to see:- turtles, birds of prey, sea & wading birds
- We often see:- dolphins, rock wallabies, other birds
- We occasionally see:- dugong and whales during the whale migration season
What do we get for breakfast?
- Breakfast is suitable for vegetarians and consists of:- two cereals, three fruits, tea and coffee
Do I need to be experienced?
- The tours we offer are suitable for beginners and intermediates
- Full instruction is provided before we start and a little more after launching to make the tour easy for everyone
What if the weather is bad?
- Tours will be cancelled for strong winds or torrential rain, if so you will get a choice of transferring to another day, the option of doing a shorter tour within Horseshoe bay or a refund
How much paddling do we do?
- Morning tour:- you will be on the water for about 2½ hours
- Sunset tour:- you will be on the water for about 1½ hours
Can I come on my own?
- Tours do operate with a minimum of two customers
- Individuals or people with an odd number in their group will be paired together with another customer or with the guide to paddle a double kayak
How big are the groups?
- Tours operate with a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 12 customers in double sea kayaks
What about personal items?
- The guide takes a dry bag in his kayak for cameras and small personal items
- Other personal items and a small bag can be left locked in our vehicle while on tour
- Magnetic Island Sea Kayaks are not responsible for any loss or damage for personal effects
Can I get from Townsville on the morning of the tour?
- Tours are timed to coincide with the Sealink ferry (7:05am) from the Townsville breakwater terminal and the Sunbus which departs Picnic Bay @ 7:20am then 7:40am from Nelly Bay ferry terminal
What is you cancellation Policy?
- It is the customers responsibility to arrive on time prepared to start the tour on the booked date at the advertised check-in time
- The travel date may only be altered with more than 48 hours notice to Magnetic Island Sea Kayaks prior to the originally booked tour
- For tours cancelled more than forty eight hours prior to the originally booked departure date then monies will be refunded, less 25%
- No refund will be given, or departure date altered, for tours cancelled less than 48 hours prior to the originally booked departure date, or for persons who do not show for departure on the booked date at the advertised check-in time, or for persons who turn up after the check-in time for the tour
- For tours cancelled by Magnetic Island Sea Kayaks customers will be transferred to another tour
- For a booking to be confirmed full monies must be paid to Magnetic Island Sea Kayaks or an Agent or Credit Card details provided to Magnetic Island Sea Kayaks
- The customer agrees that monies can be deducted from their Credit Card for tours cancelled with less than 48 hours notice, for persons that do not show for the tour on the booked date at the advertised check-in time, or for persons who turn up after the check-in time for the tour
Can we bring drinks on the tour?
- We recommend a minimum of 600ml of water per person
- We do have bottled water for sale prior to departure
- As with all adventure activities and our insurance requirements we have a zero drugs and alcohol policy
- Anyone appearing to be intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be permitted to partake in the tour
- No refund or change of tour date will be permitted for persons not permitted to partake in a tour due to being or appearing to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The customer agrees that monies can be deducted from their Credit Card if they are not permitted to partake in the tour due to being or appearing to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol